Tuesday, February 7, 2012

BP #9 - Final Reflection on HeLa

    1. If you learned that tissue removed from your body during a routine procedure or examination at a doctor's office at some point in the past had gone on to significantly benefit science and research, would you feel that you should be retroactively compensated?

    Removing tissue from a part of my body during a routine procedure or examination at a doctor's office at some point in the past had gone on to significantly benefit science and research, I would feel that there are two ways i can react. First, if the cells just used to do expriment for developing medicial field, no matter it worked ot not, i will be happy. However,what if my cells were commercially used, then it helped doctors and scientists earn money, they should compensated me. Therefore, if i were Henrietta,whose cells were taken without asking, and also it became an important source of developing medical part till today, I should be compensated. 



    2. Which do you think is more important - your right to control your own tissue, or contributing to science and research for the greater good of humanity?

    Well,,, Choosing one of these two examples is really hard to me and anyone. In my opinion, contributing to science and research for the greater good of humanity is more important than my right to control my own tissue. Of course, using my tissue for doing experiment or developing medical field is the honore which is more than I deserve. However, it should be involved the one's consent.

No comments:

Post a Comment